Communicating the Value of TSMO Blended Seminar *New Course*
Length: Approximately 9 hours
Instructor: Shelley Row, Blue Fjord Leaders
You completed the analysis; you did the research and fine-tuned the engineering. And that’s not enough. Successful persuasion requires more than facts and data. Learn the skills you need to be an effective and memorable communicator. Discover tips from neuroscience to enhance audience connection and solidify the relevance of your work to their interests. Through this interactive workshop, you learn and apply the steps of converting technical material into an interesting, informative, and relevant presentation that resonates with non-technical audiences.
- Step 1: Start with the on-demand pre-study portion of the course to get your ‘head in the game’ so that you are ready to go with the first live, interactive webinar.
- Step 2: Participate in the first interactive webinar to learn the skills you want to master to effectively communicate the value of TSMO. The skills may not be what you think! For maximum learning, have a presentation or briefing in mind to use during the workshop portion of the webinar.
- Step 3: You learn the most by doing. Before the final webinar, apply your newly learned techniques to your own presentation. Share a brief section with the instructor in advance then, during the final webinar, the instructor will discuss selected presentations so that everyone learns from real-life examples.
This three-part program is packed with value. Leave with practical techniques you can use immediately to become a memorable and impactful communicator.
To enroll, please click ‘register now‘ button below.
- From the on-demand pre-study course, learn about the challenges to effective communication for TSMO and building the business case.
- Get in tune with the audience so that you know what they want from you and what you want from them.
- Organize and hone your content to make it clear, understandable, memorable and brain friendly.
- Using neuroscience tips, design presentation visuals that stick in their minds long after your presentation ends.
Outline (click to display)
- Communicating the Value of TSMO
- Key Questions
- Building the Business Case for TSMO
- Why Communicate the Value?
- Challenges to Communicating the Value of TSMO
- Building the Case
- Strategies for Building the Case
- Strategy #1: Be Intentional
- Strategy #2: Know What You’re “Selling”
- Strategy #3: Identify and Compile Key Info
- Key Information: Travel Time Reliability
- Key Information: Colorado – I-70 Mountain Corridor
- Strategy #4: Know Your Audience
- Strategy #5: Tell the Story…
- Strategy #5: Communicating Value
- Strategy #5: Tailoring the Story
- Strategy #5: Story Strategy
- Is Your Story Compelling? #1
- Is Your Story Compelling? #2
- Why TSMO for CDOT?
- Communicating the Value of Operations: TOOLS and EXAMPLES
- Public/Customer Outreach
- Iowa DOT “Jam” Video
- Value of Signal Retiming – Houston
- MnDOT Ramp Meter Study
- Minneapolis Ramp Metering Benefits
- High Visibility Examples
- Florida DOT Newsletter
- Conveying Benefits to the Public
- Working with the Media
- Reports and Visuals
- More Tools for Communicating the Value of Operations
Washington State DOT
Lisa Burgess, Kimley-Horn and Associates
This course is excellent for a complete understanding and implementation of TSMO and I would recommend it for any DOT and anyone who is interested in transportation.- Mohamed Aly Traore, Washington State DOT (WSDOT)
This course helped me to verify TSMO strategies that were already within my toolbox, but identified for me best practices and tactics that I haven't considered. It's well worth the time and effort and a great way to bring TSMO knowledge to your agency.- Lisa Miller, Utah DOT
Communicating the Value of TSMO - Excellent course to help you learn how to "sell TSMO" to a wide audience including case studies.- Jon Cheney, Volusia County Government