Overview of Operations
Length: Approximately four hours.
This course provides an overview of the field of transportation systems management and operations (TSMO), with a focus on the optimal operation of freeways and arterials as an integrated corridor system to achieve greater user mobility. It introduces the basic terminology and acronyms of the field, and provides an explanation of the manner in which TSMO relates to the structure of the transportation system and the agencies responsible for its management. The course also includes a brief discussion of performance measurement and other measures that are recommended for evaluating the overall operation of the transportation system from a TSMO perspective. It includes a description of the various strategies and tools available to the TSMO practitioner, including their potential benefits.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Define mobility as it relates both to the agency and the user
- Differentiate between ITS and TSMO
- Understand the characteristics of a transportation agency that are essential for a strong TSMO program
- List operations strategies that have an impact on mobility
- Identify the benefits of TSMO in comparison with traditional construction and maintenance activities
LESSON 1. What Is and Isn’t TSMO?
• Definition of TSMO
• What is ITS?
• TSMO: A Complex Discipline
• Putting TSMO Into Perspective
• TSMO Is an Alphabet Soup
• Relationship Between ITS and TSMO
LESSON 2. TSMO and the Transportation System
• TSMO and Transportation System
• TSMO Organizational Capacity
• Structural Alternatives
• Structure and TSMO Priority
• Internal Partnerships
• Transportation Agency Processes
• Cross-Cutting Activities
• Levels of TSMO Involvement
• Workforce Development
• Participating Organizations
• AASHTO Committee Structure
• National Operations Center of Excellence
• Two Key National Players
• Analysis Tools
LESSON 3. Mobility and Congestion
• What Is Mobility?
• What Is Congestion?
• Highway Congestion: Recurring vs Non-recurring
• Causes of Highway Delay
• The Highway Mobility Problem
• Levels of Service
• LOS for 70mph Free Flow Speed
• LOS in Practice
• SHRP 2 Project L-08
• Evolution of Mobility Measures
• SHRP 2 Project L02
LESSON 4. TSMO Strategies
• TSMO Strategies
• The Right Strategy for the Situation
• Not All Strategies Are Equal
• Common Strategies
• Evolution of TSMO Strategies