Deploying ITS: Strategic Planning and Implementation
Length: Approximately 8 hours
Strategic planning for Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) involves the adoption of a structured approach to maximize the probability that once the system is implemented you get what you want. By definition, it also minimizes the probability of undesirable side effects or getting things that you do not want. Given that ITS technology is evolving rapidly, the structured approach should also provide a framework for adding new technologies and products. This course has been developed on the basis of a number of years of practical experience in assisting public agencies and private companies to conduct strategic planning for ITS
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Express an understanding of the introduction to the planning, implementation and assessment of ITS services.
- Explain how to “mainstream” ITS planning and implementation into established transportation planning, investment and programming procedures.
- Describe the role of ITS as part of a comprehensive transportation system.
- Define the relationship of ITS to both long- and short-range transportation planning and programming.
- Evaluate ITS alternatives and options.
- Select an appropriate “package of ITS options.”
- Describe a suggested methodology for ITS strategic planning.
- Define and describe essential success factors for implementing and deploying ITS services.
- Evaluate the success of ITS deployments.
- Describe selected examples of successful ITS planning programs, implementation approaches, and practical assessments.
Outline (click to display)
LESSON 1. What Is Strategic Planning for ITS?
• Definitions: Strategic, Planning
• The What-How Cycle
• Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
• National ITS Architecture
• Planning for ITS
• Implementing the Plan
LESSON 2. The Value of Strategic Planning for ITS
• Benefits & Challenges
• Cost of Ambiguity
• The Value of Partnership
• US DOT Regulations
• Systems Engineering: The V Model
LESSON 3. Results-Driven Investment Programs for ITS
• Regional ITS Architecture & SE Documents
• Approach To Strategic Planning
• User Services and the Regional ITS Architecture
• ITS User Services
• Effects of ITS User Services
• Investment Plan Development
• From Strategy To Program Plan
LESSON 4. Managing Challenges
• The 7 Ps
• Details of the 7 Ps
Author(s) / Instructor(s)